Wednesday 29 July 2015

Busy weekend

I knew we were going to be busy,  what with ferrying children everywhere and normal weekend activities.
We went to our fave place for breakfast on Sunday, Mum and Stepdad treated us as a thank you for all the help we gave them when Ed was in hospital which was really nice.
I made a birthday cake on Sunday as it was Mum and Malc's birthday on Monday. Unfortunately I left it in the oven for too long and it burnt! I put it on a rack to cool anyway because I thought I could cut off the burnt edge and the boys would probably eat it with some custard.
Unfortunately our lovely puppy April had other ideas and as she has lovely long lurcher legs she managed to reach it and eat half of it!
I got a bit disheartened and thought  I would buy one instead on Monday but when I woke in the morning I had a chat with myself and decided to have another go.
Birthday cakes in Asda are between £10 and £15 and I thought that's so much money, the frugal amongst you would be proud of me!
Anyway, this one turned out a lot better so Cody and I buttercreamed it and decorated it.

Mum and Ed came up later in the afternoon and we had a takeaway for tea, so a lovely day was had by all.

12 comments:

  1. I missed your cake pictures when you were AWOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thanks Sue. What a kind thing to say x

      Delete
  2. The problem with shop cake is that they all taste the same, sweet. Home made is so much better, I like smarties on the top or malteezers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our old Buddy (a black lab) was famous for leaving half a birthday cake on the kitchen counter! LOL!! But, I'm glad you made another attempt--your cake looks beautiful and delicious. I'm sure it made your Mum and Malc's birthday a very happy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, luckily most of our dogs are little which is why April caught us out. Everything is going to have to be put right at the back of the side now.

      Delete
    2. Just read your reply to my comment on your blog. My email is motheroffivejoyce@googlemail.com Email me and I'll send you my address if you would like to become penpalsx I'm always open to receiving more letters x

      Delete
  4. home made is always better. I like to make the Mary Berry all-in-one Victoria sponge, its amazing and huge! Your cake looks delish x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I agree with you, homemade is always nicer. Sometimes it takes a bit of effort though!

      Delete
  5. Glad you persevered the end result looks to have been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that naughty puppy! Well dont for persevering - I would have gone and bought one at whatever the cost Im sad to say. Sounds like you saved the day thoug and had a lovely weekend! x

    ReplyDelete