Tuesday 23 September 2014

An Explanation

Well I was certainly feeling very sorry for myself last night wasn't I?
I was very upset about something that had happened to me and the hurt I felt was going round and around in my head until I couldn't think logically in the end.
Basically J one of the ladies I clean for asked me to get a prescription on Friday when I'd finished at her house. I said I would get it Saturday and as we were going out on Saturday evening I would run it round on Sunday for her.
Unfortunately four of us went down with a tummy bug in the early hours of Saturday morning, as Malc and I were two of them we couldn't get to the chemist that day. On Sunday even though we were both feeling very drained and up half the night with Callum having his turn at the bug we went to Asdas thinking we could get the prescription filled at their pharmacy, a brilliant plan other than the fact that the pharmacy didn't have any of the tablets in stock. I rang J to tell her later that afternoon only to find she was out anyway
As Malc is more mobile in his work than me, meaning he has the mini bus he went to our local chemist on Monday morning. I rang J to tell her that she would have her tablets by the afternoon only for her to tell me that she was going out but absolutely had to have the tablets that day as she'd run out.
Malc had to go back to the doctors and chemist three times because the pharmacist wasn't happy with the wording on the prescription.
We eventually met at J's having gone like the clappers to catch her before she went out.
Malc explained the to-ing and fro-ing and said the pharmacist was really helpful to which J said she would ring them chemist and thank her personally! We just looked at each other!
I don't expect anyone to throw themselves at my feet in gratitude but we'd gone the extra mile to get these tablets when we really could have just done with having another day to recover and our part in this was just taken as it was expected.
Looking back I think I felt it more because we were ill so I wasn't really feeling myself but at the same time I do a lot for other people, I do it willingly but I'm a cleaner at the end of the day. Anything extra I do I don't get paid for and I'm getting the feeling that J is beginning to feel that I'm her personal jack of all trades. It started when I took her to hospital when the doctor rang me as she didn't have anyone else to take her.
Today I feel better in myself and I've decided that I've just got to harden up a bit, not feel so guilty if I haven't get the time to do things for people and say NO!
Onto other news, Soloman and Cody passed their first and second grades in karate last week and should come home with their belts and certificates tonight.
I've done some ironing this afternoon and my ironing basket is empty! A very rare occurrence which probably won't even last for 24 hours I'm sure.
I've also been making more dinners for Mum, a shepherds pie and a casserole, again with anemic potatoes on top as it'll be reheated in the oven and I don't want them to burn.





Thank you to those of you who commented on my last post, you'll be pleased to know Mrs Sorry For Herself has left the building and normal blogging should resume!
Off to crochet!

20 comments:

  1. There's no need for explanations, I think you're quite justified to feel the way you do. You do such a lot for other people, and it isn't as if you don't have enough to do at home as it is. Some people just don't appreciate others. Well done to Soloman and Cody, and those dinners look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Jo x They looked so gorgeous in their karate uniforms ( so called because I don't know how to spell what they're called!) when they came home this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is always the risk when you go out of your way to help, getting taken for granted, I hate it and try very hard not to do it to others. It has taken me a long time to learn and I can now say, " sorry but I have to say no, I can not do that because of other commitments".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a phrase I really need to learn Pam x

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I put something badly there and couldn't edit it, silly me. I was trying to suggest a way you might get round it. Most chemists do a prescription collection and delivery service. If you took her a leaflet and explained all the trouble you had and said something like, "If we'd been ill longer, you'd have run out. We can't let that happen so this way, it won't. Malc and I can't keep going back three times like we had to last time, and you'd never get them". It would tell her you're not doing that again but without telling her she's an ungrateful old trout! I think you have every reason to feel cross but you are too nice to tell her off.

      Delete
    2. Hi Attila
      She does get them delivered but it was a new tablet she was prescribed by the hospital consultant so it had to be put into the chemist and I thought as I was putting it in I could just wait for them. It was more my fault than hers, I just didn't reckon in the stomach bug! I've got over it now, I was just hurt at the time. Thanks for the info though, I've only just recently found out about their delivery service. I've just got to learn to say NO!

      Delete
  5. Hi Bridget - I've popped over from my blog following your lovely honest comment! It certainly sounds like you have an enormous amount on your plate. I think it is tough too when you are a person who inherently wants to help others - which it sounds like you are. I've found that sometimes we do have to be selfish to preserve our own health - not in a nasty way, just simply in a need to survive way! I'm following along now and hope things calm down for both of us with health and relaxation in October!!! J9 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janine, thanks for following xx I look forward to both of our posts telling of our good health and relaxation during October!!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes it is hard to be put in this situation and I do know what you mean. I have a friend who always seems to ask me for favours but is always "busy" when I need something....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan, there are givers and there are takers! It takes all sorts I suppose. It just hurts sometimes x

      Delete
  7. Does sound like you've been taken a bit for granted. Next time just smile and say I'm sorry I can't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really going to try and do that from now on x

      Delete
  8. Oh dear bridget sounds like you've had a bit of time of it. I'm sure all of us would like to think we will do what we can for anyone but none of us likes to be feel we are being taken advantage of either. May be saying no occasionally won't do them any harm at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitzi, I'm definitely going to give it a go x

      Delete
  9. Guilt is a poisonous thing and I know exactly what you mean about stuff going round and round in your head. Cleanse that mind! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridget you are such a kind hearted person going far beyond what many people would. Sometimes its understandable that it all gets a bit too much. So sorry you were so unappreciated, just know that those who matter, love you heaps. We are so grateful for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C, very kind words indeed and very much appreciated xx bless you xx

      Delete